Friday, April 20, 2012

7 Quick Takes: Food for Mind and Body Edition

Joining Jennifer at Conversion Diary for 7 Quick Takes Friday.

Food for Mind and Body

~1~


33 Days to Morning Glory is a simple and clear approach to Marian Consecration. I loved Father Michael Gaitley's book, Consoling the Heart of Jesus, and could not wait to pick this one up as well. It turns out that it is a wonderful way to lead the children through the Consecration. We will be starting in May and finishing on the Feast of Our Lady, Mother of Grace.

~ 2 ~

The time of preparation for the Marian Consecration will begin just as my 30-day elimination diet is coming to a conclusion. This really is not accidental or coincidental... it is obvious to me that as I focus on purifying my body, the Lord is drawing my attention once again to the needs of my soul. As I spend the extra hours in the kitchen carefully preparing to nourish the bodily temple, I know that it is not enough... and that I must spend more time on my knees.

~ 3 ~

Food preparation has been confusing for me this week. I spent a great deal of time standing in the middle of my kitchen wondering what on earth I ought to eat that isn't eliminated from my diet. It took a little time to adjust but now I am enjoying the challenge. One difficulty was coming up with a salad dressing that did not contain vegetable oil and I found a winner. This was particularly delicious on a chicken salad.

Raspberry Balsamic Dressing

1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup raspberry balsamic vinegar (purchased or make your own)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Whisk it all together until it's think and smooth. Please note that I made a lot of it. You could easily halve the recipe for a smaller quantity.

~ 4 ~

I recently read an article by a priest in my diocese regarding the Sacrament of Confirmation in which he  called the "sacrament without a theology." I was particularly annoyed to see this all too common and erroneous phrase because the Professor will be Confirmed in the very near future. Here we are trying to teach our kids about the reality and beauty of the sacraments... and some priests must go and say silly things. The frequency with which priests refer to the Sacrament as some kind of "rite of passage" is also disturbing. It seems to me that our diocesan padres can do a little better than just repeat clever sounding (but misguided) phrases. Anyone looking for a little clarity on this topic would benefit from a visit to Fr. Darren's blog. He has a whole bunch of nice posts so I've linked them all. :)

Father supports a younger age for the reception of the Sacrament of Confirmation. I heartily agree with him and his reasons. And from a practical standpoint, I think it would be lovely to have all of my little ducks march up to the Bishop at the same time next month. Maybe we can sneak them in. :)

~ 5 ~



It's been a while since I've plugged the Chief's book. If you don't have a good Catholic Bible Concordance, you really need to go buy one right now. Now, I'm the wife so I love everything my husband puts together. So if you need more convincing... Scott Hahn wrote the forward and recommends it. Not a bad name to drop, eh? :)

Read more about the Concordance in an interview featuring the Chief had in Lay Witness Magazine.

~ 6 ~

What I ate for breakfast: Smoothie with oranges, peaches, banana, coconut milk and vanilla.

What I ate for lunch: Chicken salad full of veggies and raspberry balsamic dressing.

What I ate for dinner: meatballs (without bread crumbs), fresh tomatoes, and steamed green beans.

Snacks: nuts, dried fruits

I have no idea if the above items were enough, too much, just right in terms of quantity of quality of choices. I just know there was no funny business about my food and it feels good.

~ 7 ~

I'm so tired that I can't think of a 7th "take"... it's 3am and I'm sitting up with the Chief while he does some theological reading. Is it any wonder that he can fall asleep in the middle of the day, sitting upright in a chair, with the kids running around him? But this is a nice time. Quiet. Good.






5 comments:

  1. That salad dressing sounds really good! I hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if eggs are eliminated but if they aren't you should make deviled eggs. I found that if I made my own mayonnaise, then deviled eggs don't bother me one bit and they are nice to have in the fridge as a quick protein and fat snack. My 17 month old likes them too.

    The recipe book nourishing traditions has some good salad dressing recipes. I did make a whole bunch of great food dishes from it but after finding I can't eat grains (this includes rice and corn) I found great recipes I could eat from Make it Paleo. You can probably find it at your library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Cookie! I'm having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Jana... Eggs are thankfully not on the forbidden list and I'm eating tons of them. I hadn't thought of deviled eggs. I really don't like using mayo but I'm going to try to modify the recipe to make the egg yolks yummier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Homemade mayonnaise is just a few ingredients (unlike store bought). One egg, oil of choice (this is your flavoring), dry mustard, vinegar or lemon juice, and salt and pepper. You could probably take a few or most of the ingredients to make a better consistancy for your filling. Know that if you choose to make your own mayonnaise (which takes a total of three to five minutes to make in the blender) it will only be good for about four days. However, if you add some whey (the water in your yogurt you can pour off) itcan last for several months.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! If you take the time to comment, I'll do my best to take the time to reply!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails