Monday, November 28, 2011

The Problem of the Advent Wreath: Solved

Toddlers are the darling little monkey wrenches in holiday decorating plans. And in a large family there always seems to be one around. Thanks be to God! Now go get the ornament out of his mouth. Have you ever decorated only the top half of your Christmas tree? Then you've had a toddler and you know what I'm talking about. So the Christmas tree/ornament dilemma is solved (for the most part) but there remains the challenge of the Advent wreath. There never seems to be a safe place for it.

I've mulled over the idea of a toddler friendly fabric wreath with detachable velcro flames. But, I don't know... I just couldn't really get into it. We did flameless LED pillar candles last year. They were pretty but we couldn't find them (affordably) in purple and pink. And the little ones liked to walk off with them. And there still was no good place to set them up without curious paws wrecking the whole lovely set-up. I've considered a paper wreath on the wall but I ran into the same feelings that I had about fabric wreaths.

So... I've taken a linear approach to the problem. I finally have a fireplace and mantle and although the Professor is greatly troubled that my design is not technically a wreath and is giving me endless grief about it... we're good. I even tested the "toddler view" to make sure that the set up was partially visible to Cub. Here's the view. Not perfect but better than nothing, broken or burning.


Here is a closer view. I originally made sweet purple and pink bows for the candles, decided it was far too girly a thing to foist upon the Chief, and turned them around to the back. The crucifix in the middle will hopefully be replaced on Christmas morning by a larger one for the wall. I talked to St. Nicholas about it... he agrees that the Chief should prioritize this item on my wish list. I'm sure they'll chat.



3 comments:

  1. very nice. I like that you use big votive candles and just tie a pink or purple ribbon on them. My advent wreath always has the wrong size of hole for any candle I buy and they end up falling as they are burning.

    And yes, vertical decorating has been a necessity around here too. I am always in need of more tall shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're such a good Mama, love that toddler view! My 3 year old keeps reminding us of the year that she knocked over the fire department tree that Daddy had all of his breakable fire ornaments gifted to him from his parents. My piercing scream has probably scarred her for life;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess we're all in this together...lol. Love walking this road with you wonderful ladies. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! If you take the time to comment, I'll do my best to take the time to reply!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails