Thursday, September 24, 2009

Just Call Me 'Ma Ingalls'





We'll soon have new bedrooms for the kids and that means I have to think about decorating. As much as I love arts and crafts and design of all kinds, interior decorating is rather low on my list of preferred artistic endeavors. Those projects tend to be large, semi-permanent, incredibly time-consuming and expensive; and my head aches a little thinking of the expansiveness of this upcoming task.

The plus side is that I get to start from scratch. I have already picked out the colors for the girls' room (sort of) and thought about the scheme for the rest of the house (on occasion).  But what I'm really having fun doing is putting together my first rag rug for the girly room. Just call me Ma Ingalls.

The idea came to me as I was thinking of more pressing matters (flashes of genius generally do) and I searched the internet until I found a darling tutorial from Moda. I'm using a softer, bulkier fabric than the cotton they recommend; a flannel that I found for $1 a yard at WalMart. Not fit for clothing but perfect for this project. I also plan on securing the coils a bit more aggressively than the tutorial recommends. Their sample is lovely but does not look like it would hold up to my large family that well!  (See Moda's finished rug above)

My own basket of rope is is growing steadily. I'll share my finished product when it's completed.


4 comments:

  1. Ooo! I saw that tutorial a while back and I've been wanting to make one!

    Looking forward to seeing the finished rug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, that looks like so much fun, ma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun project and your changes sound very practical! As for the interior decorating, I wish I could be so lucky as to have new rooms to design and decorate! Visit my profile and you will find a plethora of design, redesign, trash to treasure types of blogs that I follow. I just wish I would spend more time working on my projects instead of reading about theirs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I KNOW the rug will be gorgeous Mellie! How fun and exciting getting to fix things up just the way you like!
    xoxoxo, Daff

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! If you take the time to comment, I'll do my best to take the time to reply!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails