Friday, January 1, 2010

Is this the year I allow Him to reign?




I haven't made a serious New Year's resolution in years. The new year starts so quickly after the busyness of Christmas that I am usually still in the process of cleaning up the messes I made the previous year; it's a little too soon to face a new list of goals that I know I have a snowball's chance of fulfilling. My goals are generally the same from year to year anyway. I began streamlining the resolutions year after year to make them more attainable until I simply whittled them away to nothing.

Homeschooling mother of 5 goes into survival mode and has no goals this year. Yikes! That makes a pretty pathetic headline. It isn't completely true that I have no resolutions though. I have a million that rattle around in my heart and head daily. If I was honest about this resolution business I'd  have to say something like the following: I resolve to do everything right that I've been doing wrong. Pardon me while I unfurl my list.


However, I do have one big official New Year's resolution for 2010. I want to be a saint. (I assume this one will need an extension in subsequent years) And since I know from much experience that I don't have what it takes on my own effort and how quickly I get discouraged, my resolution includes a reminder from St. Therese of Lisieux. She wrote the following to her sister, Celine (but I pretend that she's written to me):

My Dearest Sister-

Do not let your weakness make you unhappy. When, in the morning, we feel no courage or strength for the practice of virtue, it is really a grace: it is the time to "lay the axe to the root of the tree", relying on Jesus alone. If we fall, an act of love will set all right, and Jesus smiles. He helps us without seeming to do so; and the tears which sinners cause Him to shed are wiped away by our poor weak love. Love can do all things. The most impossible tasks seem to it easy and sweet. You know well that Our Lord does not look so much at the greatness of our actions, nor even at their difficulty, as at the love with which we do them. What, then, have we to fear?"

Jesus, King of my life, please take up Your throne in my heart this year and forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! If you take the time to comment, I'll do my best to take the time to reply!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails